ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Orcan Ogetbil oget.fedora at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 02:21:41 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 4:21 AM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>

> On 02/13/2013 04:26 AM, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>

>>> Hmm, we still have xmms in the repo?
>>

>> /me is very glad we still have xmms in the repo
>

> Have you tried using Audacious ? You can set it to
> classic mode, at which point it user experience is
> identical to xmms.
>
> With the advantage that it uses a modern toolkit, more
> modern plumbing in various places, and it is actively
> maintained both in Fedora and upstream.

While audacious can be made to look similar to xmms, it is not xmms,
and indeed they are very different from each other. xmms (with ALSA)
is the only player  that consistently worked for me with no problems
for the last 11 years. Moreover it uses the best (in my opinion) GTK
version out there.

If the esound or pulseaudio plugins are problematic, let us retire
them. I don't think xmms will be used by other people than us fanboys,
and I feel that we are fine with the ALSA output.

Anyhow it looks like spot was kind enough to pick it up, so no worries :)

Best,
Orcan