ConsoleKit and esound retirement

Dan Mashal dan.mashal at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 04:16:44 UTC 2013

On Wed, Feb 13, 2013 at 7:02 PM, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler at chello.at> wrote:
> Lennart Poettering wrote:
>> There is no Fedora 20 rawhide.
>
> There will be one in less than 4 weeks.
>
>> (and as mentioned, exorcising CK from packages is rather simple usually,
>> as in most cases you will just delete code, not add new code).
>
> I don't think that's true. As far as I know, LightDM relies on ConsoleKit
> for some essential functionality, and upstream has zero interest in systemd
> given that they're Ubuntu. So there is one person at Fedora / Red Hat who is
> trying to port it to systemd all alone, he's not done yet. I don't know what
> the state of the other affected packages is, but I assume there's also more
> to do than just disabling ConsoleKit support or it would have been already
> done (as we did for KDM long ago). For example, if a desktop (or even a
> display manager, like LightDM) wants to use ConsoleKit for shutdown/restart
> or, worse (in terms of porting effort), user switching, this all has to be
> ported to systemd, not just disabled.
>
> I agree that ConsoleKit needs to go away, but FIRST all packages using it
> must be ported away from it, THEN it can be retired.
>
>         Kevin Kofler
>
> --

This was exactly my point.

MATE Desktop being dependent on LightDM in Fedora (that can possibly
be changed).

However if LightDM had full systemd/logind support then I'm all for it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe XFCE, LXDE and MATE all use
LightDM and I think there were plans to get rid of KDM  on KDE in
favor of LightDM as well.

Thanks,
Dan