Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu Feb 14 06:19:16 UTC 2013

On 02/14/2013 03:26 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
>> Surely you are not honestly consider replacing mysql installation with
>> mariadb on upgrades?
> Have you missed the discussion? MariaDB is a drop-in replacement for MySQL,
> it will REPLACE MySQL in Fedora repositories, and we like to keep existing
> setups WORKING (e.g. we don't want to break Akonadi, which relies on an
> autospawned mysql-server, or Amarok, which relies on mysql-embedded) and
> supplied with security updates (which would not be the case for an
> unmaintained MySQL RPM from an older Fedora release that just sits on your
> disk), so of course, MariaDB WILL replace MySQL on upgrades

As far as I know FESCO did not ban mysql in the distribution and with
that in mind 2 oracle's employees have offered to maintain it in the
distribution ( we still have to wait and see if that will eventually be
the case ) and I have yet to see the package being orphaned as well.

That said now I as an user if I have installed mysql and if the package
is available in the distribution then on upgrades I'm expecting to be
upgrading to the latest mysql release in the distribution not being
migrated to mariadb or it installed et all.

Now if FESCO bans mysql and the package get's dropped from the
distribution then of course I as an user would welcome to be migrated to
mariadb on upgrade but until mysql is removed from the distribution I
would expect mariadb not to replace it on upgrades.

But I guess it's just me that think this is odd/wrong while we still
ship mysql.

JBG