Customizing Firefox Search.

Gerard Ryan galileo at fedoraproject.org
Thu Feb 14 15:36:59 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 07:03:41AM -0500, Daniel J Walsh wrote:
>Any know of a way to build a customized search into firefox.  Basically I want
>to setup a search pull down which is hard coded to a particular site.
>
>For example, add a menu item called
>MyBlog
>
>And what ever I put into the search window ends up going to google as
>
>$SEARCHTEXT site:danwalsh.livejournal.com

You could use a custom bookmark with a keyword for this. I don't know
all of the different parameters in a google search url, so here's an
example using DuckDuckGo:

1. Create a new bookmark with the following as the url:
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=site%3Adanwalsh.livejournal.com+%s

2. Set the keyword to something such as: dw

3. In the url bar, you should now be able to search for $SEARCHTEXT on
your site by typing simply: dw $SEARCHTEXT

How to add a keyword to a bookmark isn't obvious in my opinion, so
here that is too:

1. Hit Ctrl+Shift+o to open the main bookmarks window

2. On the left pane, click on unsorted bookmarks (or wherever you want
the bookmark to be located, I don't think it matters much).

3. From the 'Organize' menu at the top of that window, choose 'New
Bookmark'.

4. A 'New Bookmark' dialog appears. In the 'Location' field, enter the
custom url from above (or if you want, an equivalent of your own
crafting, with %s as the $SEARCHTEXT). In the 'Keyword' field, enter
what you would like the keyword to be (dw in the example above).

I hope this helps!

Gerard.