Customizing Firefox Search.

Mat Booth fedora at matbooth.co.uk
Thu Feb 14 17:03:53 UTC 2013

On 14 February 2013 12:03, Daniel J Walsh <dwalsh at redhat.com> wrote:
> --

Plugins for the search widget in the top-right of Firefox uses the
OpenSearch standard. You can just create a little XML file that
describes the search action you want, and put it on your website and
then anyone can install it and search your site with it. Here's a
guide to creating an OpenSearch plugin:

https://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Creating_OpenSearch_plugins_for_Firefox

Here's an example of one in the wild:

http://dictionary.reference.com/opensearch_desc.xml

If you go to http://dictionary.reference.com, you can install the
plugin by clicking the drop-down in the Firefox search widget and
choosing "Add..."

Hope that helps.

--
Mat Booth