/usr/lib/debug ownership

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 12:03:50 UTC 2013

> On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 16:36:03 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:
>
>> Running some automated tests I stumble over the debug directories. E. g.,
>>
>> $ repoquery -qf /usr/lib/debug
>>
>> shows 45 owners on current F18. Other directories under /usr/lib/debug
>> have  a similar situation with many owners..
>>
>> I note that /usr/src/debug is owned by filesystem, but filesystem does
>> not own /usr/lib/debug.
>>
>> Is all this on purpose, or is something broken here? Thinking about it,
>> we never require anything for the debug package AFAICT. What's the story?
> It depends on what the package stores below /usr/lib/debug.
> Here's one that is mispackaged:
>
>    # repoquery -qf /usr/lib/debug
>    nacl-devel-0:20110221-3.fc19.i686
>
>    -> http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/rpminfo?rpmID=3336721
>
> It includes the -debuginfo package contents in the -devel package, most
> likely because it does a lazy'n'risky %{_libdir}/* in its %files section.

Thanks for reply... Still, I'm puzzled about 45 packages owning
/usr/lib/debug, none of them the filesystem package. This looks weird,
although I don't grasp the consequences (if any).

A normal review rule says that a package should not own a directory
owned by another package. Does this apply to /usr/lib/debug (as well as
/usr/src/debug, used occasionally)? If so, who is the "rightful" owner
of these directories?

Still confused, but on a higher level...

--alec