Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Dennis Jacobfeuerborn dennisml at conversis.de
Fri Feb 15 13:58:27 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 04:13 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Well, unless Oracle as upstream wants to get involved as downstream
>> maintainers in Fedora as well.  They did offer to do that but don't seem
>> to have stepped up yet.
>
> I really don't see what we have to gain from having 2 conflicting versions
> of MySQL in Fedora. It'd be a big mess not only for our users, but also for
> the software in Fedora which depends on it. For the same reason, I'm also
> opposed to the plan of having MySQL and MariaDB coexist for one release. We
> should really move to MariaDB with hard Obsoletes and then ship only that.

One word: Competition.

MySQL 5.6 has made significant performance improvements and both MySQL and
MariaDB have features that the other doesn't have so while they are
compatible for the most part they are not identical and if you rely on a
MySQL 5.6 feature that MariaDB doesn't support than you'd obviously prefer
to have MySQL available as an option.

Also MySQL 5.6 gains some of its speed through commercial extensions (like
e.g. the thread pool). Since these cannot be packaged in Fedora you will be
able to make a better/more fair comparison between the two based on the
same Platform (Fedora).

All of this benefits Fedoras users.

Besides I don't think excluding a specific piece of software without
technical reasons would set a somewhat dangerous precedent. As long as
there are people willing to maintain these packages and the packages
themselves follow all necessary guidelines they should be allowed to do so.

Regards,
  Dennis