Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Fri Feb 15 22:22:33 UTC 2013

On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 2:10 PM "Jan-Frode Myklebust" wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:17:00AM -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> > The way this worked in the past (and still does on RHEL and some
> > other
> > distros) is that MySQL AB provided RPMs named "MySQL",
> > "MySQL-server",
> > etc, which simply conflicted with the Red Hat-supplied packages
> > named
> > "mysql", "mysql-server", etc.  Perhaps it would be best to continue
> > that
> > naming tradition, ie establish a new Oracle-maintained Fedora
> > package
> > named "MySQL", instead of figuring out how to transition
> > maintainership
> > of the "mysql" packages.  This would give us some more wiggle room
> > about
> > managing the transition --- in particular, it's hard to see how we
> > manage Obsoletes/Provides linkages in any sane fashion if the
> > "mysql"
> > package name continues in use.  I think we're going to have to end
> > up
> > with a design in which "mysql" becomes essentially a virtual
> > Provides
> > name.
> >

> I'm quite amazed at how MariaDB is allowed to do this takeover of
> mysql
> in fedora. Why can't MariaDB use it's own configuration files, own
> datadir, own socket, own binary names, etc..  ? I'm no Oracle or
> Mysql
> fan, but as far as I see it Oracle/mysql is the original branch of
> the
> mysql project, and I think a competing fork should do it's best not
> conflict with it. No effort not to conflict seems to be happening
> here,
> rather the opposite.

Upstream chose the way of drop-in replacement, which means that the same API including file names was actually a feature. Why we don't do it differently in Fedora is obvious -- we don't want to differ from upstream.

> What happens when MariaDB and Mysql start diverging?  Will it be
> impossible to have a client that connects to both mysql and mariadb
> servers ?

Most probably not. I doubt that if these projects start diverge in the future, incompatible changes in client-server protocol will be desired changes. I believe the opposite would be true -- which is compatibility on this layer will be still important.

Honza