Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 22:43:53 UTC 2013

On 02/15/2013 09:32 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
> On 02/15/2013 3:31 PM, "Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" wrote:
>> On 02/15/2013 01:50 PM, Honza Horak wrote:
>>> I still see the differences between MariaDB and MySQL to be very
>>> little.
>> Difference never the less and difference in behavior ( which mariadbs
>> own benchmarking on their website proof ) which means every server
>> tweak
>> that has been done for the mysql host has to be redone to take
>> whatever
>> changes and features mariadb introduces.
> Can you be more specific, what tweaks you mean?

Host + mysql optimization. It can take up to three weeks+ to properly
tune mysql in real production deployments

>> upstart was never properly integrated into the distribution so it's
>> more
>> accurate to talk about sys V --> Systemd and my advice to any
>> distribution that thinks of making that switch to do so within one
>> release cycle and arguably systemd should never have had that
>> backward
>> compatibility ( to that certain extent it has  ) to sys V
>> implemented.
>>
>> Doing so has caused users to expect sysv/upstart like behavior of the
>> init systemd as opposed to approach and embrace it as new technology.
>>
>> That said neither systemd nor Gnome 3 are forks however mariadb is so
>> it
>> will ( as is the nature of all forks ) grow further away from it's
>> origin in time ( how fast that happens depends on it's maintainers ),
>> thus it should be treated as fork and a completely separated database
>> product that is *based* on mysql and packaged as such
> It's possible, but I see that as another reason to do the switch to mariadb now, than later.

Yes but as long as mysql is available in the distribution that
replacement migration should not take place from my point of view and
when that migration takes place I feel that mariadb should have it's own
mdb.cnf file in /etc/ and it's own directory ( which arguably is also
inevitable that will happen the future ) which could just be symbolic
links to their corresponding mysql file and directory and those links
just removed in F21 to complete the replacement migration.

>>> Well, in case we wouldn't obsolete mysql -- then either we could do
>>> it
>>> in F20 and have the same problem a few months later
>> Sorry not following as long as someone is willing to maintain mysql
>> in
>> the distribution we should not be dealing with any kind of potential
>> replacement migration.
> The reason of replacement is not that nobody is willing to package mysql. The reasons were stated on the feature page:
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB

Yeah but at this point in time Oracle has not made that move and if we
are doing it because that we are afraid that it will happen ( which
comes as a no surprise to anyone if it does ) we should go all the way
now in F19 ( instead of waiting for the inevitable ) and drop mysql from
the distribution ( which FESCO has to decide on if should be done which
is highly unlikely they will atleast I would be surprised if they did
but then again I was surprised they approved the replacement migration
in the first place  ).

JBG