Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Martin Sourada martin.sourada at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 23:15:10 UTC 2013

On Thu, 14 Feb 2013 19:13:08 -0800
Adam Williamson wrote:

> On 09/02/13 01:03 AM, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Last I checked, GDM also hid that feature so well that many users
> > missed it. In fact, unless this changed recently, when you input
> > your user name, the option is NOT shown, it only appears after you
> > confirm your user name, during the password prompt.
>
> Well, yes, that's true. How does that count as 'well hidden'? It's
> not like you can login without entering your password.
What about users *without* password? It's insecure (in most cases), but
possible.

But yes, we have other DMs, so why bother with pointing out
what we believe GDM does wrong, when there's a DM that does it right
and is supported in Fedora? I've abandoned GDM myself when it started
using gnome shell and since then I haven't got the urge to point out
that it's unusable (meaning inconvenient, non-effective to use) for me,
because I can use something different now (many thanks to the people
who got LightDM into Fedora and made it work).

Martin