/usr/lib/debug ownership

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Feb 16 10:41:52 UTC 2013

On 02/16/2013 11:44 AM, Alec Leamas wrote:
> On 02/15/2013 11:58 PM, Till Maas wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 15, 2013 at 10:50:28AM -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
>>
>>> - make a script to identify all the packages that are broken and
>>>    shipping debug stuff.
>> AT least for the directory a simple yum call should suffice:
>> yum --disablerepo '*' --enablerepo fedora\*  whatprovides /usr/lib/debug
>>
>> But it shows that a lot (all?) debuginfo packages own the directory
>> which probably needs to be fixed in rpm itself.
>>
>> Regards
>> Till
> I have filed a bug against filesystem: BZ 911831.
>
> I get 46 owners of /usr/lib/debug, that can't be all debug packages...
>
> Shall we file a bug against rpm, saying that claiming the complete path
> doesn't really work? I see the problems here, if rpm shouldn't claim the
> complete path /usr/lib/debug/lib/whatever, the part to claim is more or
> less arbitrary.

Multiple owned directories might not be "packaging purist clean" :) but
since -debuginfo packages are auto-generated and thus kinda guaranteed
to be non-conflicting, it's just the less ugly option when the
alternative is leaving empty directories behind. Which is what would
happen if -debuginfo packages didn't own *all* the directories they put
files into.

	- Panu -