/usr/lib/debug ownership

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Sat Feb 16 11:41:39 UTC 2013

On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:59:08 +0100, Alec Leamas wrote:

> According to Kevin,
> this is a bug and should be fixed by having filesystem to own
> /usr/lib/debug  (like /usr/src/debug), and also having packages only to
> own "their own" directories. Are saying that the current ownership is OK?
>
> Whatever command I used, it was wrong. New datapoint:
>
> $ repoquery --disablerepo='*' --enablerepo='fedora*' -qf /usr/lib/debug
> | wc -l
> 6089

The typical -debuginfo package contains several dirs:

  $ rpmls geeqie-debuginfo|grep ^d
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/lib/debug
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/lib/debug/.build-id
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/lib/debug/.build-id/be
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/lib/debug/usr
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/lib/debug/usr/bin
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/src/debug/geeqie-1.1
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/src/debug/geeqie-1.1/src
  drwxr-xr-x  /usr/src/debug/geeqie-1.1/src/icons

Larger ones contain many more dirs:

  $ rpmls gcc-debuginfo|grep ^d|wc -l
  893

Obviously, multiple -debuginfo packages share some of the dirs with
eachother. A package must include a dir for it to be removed when the package
gets uninstalled and the dir would be empty afterwards. If multiple
packages include the same dir (with the same ownership and permissions),
that is okay. Upon erasing the last package, the dirs would be removed.

And don't just focus on just the top dir. If you wanted to move ownership
of dirs into a single package only, such as "filesystem", you would need to
move other dirs too, such as /usr/lib/debug/usr/{bin,lib,libexec}, basically
any dir that may be used by more than one package some time in the future.

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.8.0-0.rc7.git3.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.27 0.21 0.20