[Mass Rebuild] Strange parsing of %%doc

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Sat Feb 16 12:06:44 UTC 2013

> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 11:57:54 +0100, Martin Sourada wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> WRT subject: before I go to file a bug report I want to make sure I'm
>> not exploiting something unsupported in rpmbuild.
>>
>> In a couple of rpms (for which we're also upstream and I'm managing
>> them, so it's fairly easy for me to "workaround" the issue) I have
>> license saved in file with space, e.g. "CC-BY-SA 3.0". In the spec I
>> have a %%doc looking like this:
>>
>> %doc CC-BY-SA\ 3.0 Attribution
>
> I've seen Panu commenting on it before, so I've searched a bit:
> http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/devel/2013-January/176565.html

Yup. Rpm >= 4.11 does not (and is unlikely to ever to) support all the
shell-quoting styles that accidentally worked in older versions.

Rpm >= 4.10.3 supports double-quoting in %doc so in Fedora >= 18 you can
now use
     %doc "CC-BY-SA 3.0 Attribution"

...but if you need spec compatibility across all Fedora (and RHEL)
versions, whitespace in %doc needs to be worked around with globs.

Guess I should backport the double-quoting support to F17 too to allow
consistency within the currently active Fedora versions.

	- Panu -