/usr/lib/debug ownership

Alec Leamas leamas.alec at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 10:17:58 UTC 2013

On 02/16/2013 05:16 PM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Sat, 16 Feb 2013 13:47:13 +0200
> Panu Matilainen <pmatilai at laiskiainen.org> wrote:
>
>> I think Kevin was talking about "normal", ie non-debuginfo packages
>> like the example case of nacl-devel owning /usr/lib/debug, which
>> indeed is a (trivial) packaging bug. Except perhaps for the
>> filesystem package which is fairly special case anyway.
> Indeed I was. I was thinking we were talking about packages that
> mistakenly are shipping their debuginfo in the real package.
>
>> OTOH because -debuginfo packages always own all the relevant
>> directories there's no need for filesystem to own them, which would
>> allow for a nice and clean rule: any non-debuginfo package owning the
>> *debug directories can be considered an unnecessary multiple
>> directory ownership (and a bug of sorts).
> Sounds fine to me.
>
> kevin

OK, I have caused some confusion and headaches here. Sorry for that
Thanks for all replies, I certainly understand this better now. That is
not to say there's nothing more in this. Trying to summarize conclusions:

- We have one trivial packaging bug where an ordinary (nacl-devel)
package erroneously owns a debug package. Michael reported this as BZ
911405.

- Filesystem owns /usr/src/debug but not /usr/lib/debug. No big deal,
but still inconsistent. I reported this as  BZ911831.

- Directories in /usr/{src,lib}/debug are owned by auto-generated
dependencies for debuginfo packages. Each package owns the complete
directory chain. While not absolutely kosher, it's  a practical solution
which works without worse problems than some left, empty directories in
some cases.

- For fedora-review, my personal starting point, is a directory owned by
the reviewed package which also is owned by some other package something
which needs a motivation. That's not to say it's an error. This does not
apply to debuginfo packages, which by definition have correct,
auto-generated dependencies.

Hope I got it right...

Cheers!

--alec