Proposed F19 Feature: Cinnamon as Default Desktop

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 08:55:59 UTC 2013

> You have two possibilities:
>
> 1. Show sessions before selecting/entering the user:
>    Means basically including something like 'default session' or
>    'previous session'
> 2. Show sessions after selecting/entering the user:
>    Means you can show the actual session that will be chosen.
>
> There are tradeoffs between both of them, GDM chose #2,

Well, that is only one half of the story.  gdm actually moved from #1 to
#2 (IIRC with the gnome2->gnome3 switch), making people wonder why the
desktop selection disappeared ...

Took me a while to figure this (and other user-specific settings like
language) just shows up after picking the user, especially as this is
just a small change at the bottom of the screen while you are focusing
to the center where you just typed the password and where gdm now asks
for the password.

cheers,
  Gerd