Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Honza Horak hhorak at redhat.com
Mon Feb 18 12:56:38 UTC 2013

On 02/18/2013 11:05 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 18.02.2013 10:58, schrieb Honza Horak:
>> It seems the words could have been chosen less absolutely (changed a little bit at [1]), but in case you don't
>> agree with the official MariaDB statement, that "For all practical purposes, MariaDB is a binary drop in
>> replacement of the same MySQL version", "MySQL 5.5 will be compatible with MariaDB 5.5" and "The shared client
>> library is binary compatible with MySQL's client library." [2] -- I'd like to see concrete examples where this
>> incompatibility is broken, so that we can document it at least or better to fix it asap.
>
> as said - this is thin ice
> remember MySQL 5.5.10
>
> you can not expect real binary compatibility over the
> whole release cycle and if it slightly breaks it starts
> to get funny in context having both in Fedora and depend
> on exact obsoletes / provides / dependencies
>
> MySQL 5.5.10:
> Incompatible Change: The shared library version of the client library was increased to 18 to reflect ABI changes,
> and avoid compatibility problems with the client library in MySQL 5.1. Note that this is an incompatible change
> between 5.5.10 and earlier 5.5 versions, so client programs that use the 5.5 client library should be recompiled
> against the 5.5.10 client library. (Bug #60061, Bug #11827366)

I remember that issue and agree that it was problem, which shows that
quality is not every-time assured in the MySQL upstream. On the other
hand, MariaDB with much more test cases, enthusiastic developers and
quicker bug fixes should be benefit for Fedora in cases like you
mentioned -- such problems could be find earlier and could be fixed fast.

Honza