Should MariaDB touch my.cnf in %post?

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Mon Feb 18 10:05:22 UTC 2013

Am 18.02.2013 10:58, schrieb Honza Horak:
> On 02/16/2013 02:23 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

>>> AFAICT, this is a different question.  IIUC, the plan is for clients to link
>>> to the mariadb provided libraries.  The mysql package would not ship client
>>> libraries.  So we're talking about protocol compatibility, not about library
>>> SONAME/ABI compatibility
>>
>> and which fool has written the feature page without knowing what binary
>> compatibility is or if he knows to get the Fesco OK by promise impossible
>> things there?
>>
>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/ReplaceMySQLwithMariaDB
>> MariaDB is binary compatible with MySQL of the same major version, so we
>> don't need to change anything in packages depending on libmysqlclient.so
>
> It seems the words could have been chosen less absolutely (changed a little bit at [1]), but in case you don't
> agree with the official MariaDB statement, that "For all practical purposes, MariaDB is a binary drop in
> replacement of the same MySQL version", "MySQL 5.5 will be compatible with MariaDB 5.5" and "The shared client
> library is binary compatible with MySQL's client library." [2] -- I'd like to see concrete examples where this
> incompatibility is broken, so that we can document it at least or better to fix it asap.

as said - this is thin ice
remember MySQL 5.5.10

you can not expect real binary compatibility over the
whole release cycle and if it slightly breaks it starts
to get funny in context having both in Fedora and depend
on exact obsoletes / provides / dependencies

MySQL 5.5.10:
Incompatible Change: The shared library version of the client library was increased to 18 to reflect ABI changes,
and avoid compatibility problems with the client library in MySQL 5.1. Note that this is an incompatible change
between 5.5.10 and earlier 5.5 versions, so client programs that use the 5.5 client library should be recompiled
against the 5.5.10 client library. (Bug #60061, Bug #11827366)