Proposed F19 Feature: Apache OpenOffice

James Hogarth james.hogarth at gmail.com
Mon Feb 18 16:55:55 UTC 2013

> AOO really seems to have degenerated into IBM's private playground. (No
> wonder, they're the only ones who benefit from the braindead non-copyleft
> licensing.)

Talking of licensing...

Since this has been approved I'm curious as to the method by which the
non-conflict with LO is to be achieved...

I was browsing the AOO archives when I came upon Andrea's thread there
about AOO in F19...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201301.mbox/%3C5109384E.60606%40apache.org%3E

Going through it Andrea has kept a very level head with respect to wanting
to work with Fedora to get the packages built and in but there is a lot of
dispute surrounding the oowriter etc situation...

Please read the full thread for context but as an example:

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201302.mbox/%3CCAP-ksojB20qDs5ORK_nHiRj142-KosAPioSHC5yxCSTj6OVH1w@mail.gmail.com%3E

This made me think of the reminder that had to be given to Oracle about the
Fedora principles and how friendship is a key one...

There's been little discussion of this since the earlier part of the month
on either mailing list and and no commits to the LO git or bugzilla bugs I
have been able to find about dealing with conflict and bringing this
package in...

So what's the plan in mind?

Is the existing orphaned openoffice.org package in Fedora going to have
Andrea as a maintainer and then this new code committed?

Is this considered to be a completely fresh new package to go through the
usual new package guidelines (plus sponsorship for a new packager)?

Will Andrea be maintainer of the package or someone else in the AOO group?
There didn't seem to be much enthusiasm there in packaging themselves...

http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/openoffice-dev/201302.mbox/%3C5112B95E.3010406@apache.org%3E

That was the last message there and there's no wiki page I could find on
the oo.org wikis about packaging for F19 and nothing the in oo.org bugzilla
instance on issues.apache.org ...

So... plan?