system freezes after loading gdm/gnome

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Feb 26 17:01:58 UTC 2013

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 10:29:34 -0500, Clyde E. Kunkel wrote:

> Seeing this also.  Rawhide up-to-date with stock ati driver on RV 630.
> X seems to be eating up cpu cycles during sluggishness.

A recent update has changed behaviour. After logging in via GDM, the
screen turns black, the mouse pointer can be moved but only sluggishly,
and the first login attempt takes _some time_. Then the familiar background
is _zoomed in_ (for whatever reason there may be).

Once I've lost the mouse pointer at that black screen, and when GNOME
Shell had been started, I could only navigate with an invisible mouse
pointer to log out and log back in, which worked, btw.

--
Fedora release 19 (Rawhide) - Linux 3.9.0-0.rc0.git6.1.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.33 0.18 0.15