Tor maintainership

Jamie Nguyen j at jamielinux.com
Wed Feb 27 18:14:11 UTC 2013

On 27/02/13 18:03, Jamie Nguyen wrote:
> Hi Enrico,
>
> I want to clarify that my whitespace changes were an attempt to make the
> spec more legible for everyone, not myself. I also feel it would have
> been "nicer" for you to ask me to revert the changes rather than
> reverting them yourself, since I did go through the effort of making the
> changes and helping you to update and fix the package, but that's just a
> small suggestion.
>
> Anyway, I agree that it would perhaps have been better to split the
> commit into chunks. Thus, I post below a patch series that includes all
> the various changes in easily digestible chunks.

I just want to clarify here the reasoning for each patch.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0001-Remove-release_func-macro.patch

This custom macro is rather confusing to hard to understand There's no
real need for it.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0002-Cleanup-systemd-macros.patch

This custom macro here just makes it harder to read the spec as the bits
inside are not in the place that most people would expect.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0003-Remove-unnecessary-EPEL-5-tags-and-macros.patch

Not needed for Fedora 17 and 18. I have adopted your orphaned EPEL 5 and
EPEL 6 branches, and I'm fine with these macros not being present in the
Fedora specs.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0004-Unify-core-systemd-and-torify-into-one-package.patch

The main "tor" package is empty. There is no reason for it to be, and no
reason for the others to be subpackages.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0005-Remove-dependency-on-fedora-user-mgmt.patch

This is an unnecessary dependency and I see no benefit for it.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0006-Remove-unnecessary-Requires-on-logrotate-directory.patch

This is not required.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0007-Use-defaults-torrc-as-recommended-by-upstream.patch

This will help to make sure some sane defaults are set. This was
recommended by upstream.

> http://jamielinux.fedorapeople.org/tor/0008-Change-var-log-tor-permissions-to-match-upstream.patch

This matches the defaults in the upstream RPM packages.

The SPEC is also 100 lines shorter :)

--
Jamie Nguyen