Package_update_HOWTO

Brad Bell bradbell at seanet.com
Thu Feb 28 17:15:35 UTC 2013

Please note that there are references to Fedroa 12 and Fedora 13
in the section For Testers:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#For_Testers
Perhaps these should be updated ?

I am planning on making some minor changes to the section
Build a Package For Rawhide:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#Build_a_package_for_Rawhide
and would appreciate any feed back or comments about them.

In the past I have made the mistake of running
     fedpkg build
In cases that failed and could have been avoided using scratch builds; see
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Using_the_Koji_build_system#Scratch_Builds

It now seems to me preferable to do the following before uploading new
sources:
      wget  http:///path/to/yournewtarball.tar.gz .
      rmpbuild -bs <package_name>.spec
      koji build --scratch rawhide <package_name>.srpm

To this end, I have listed a set of edits below:

1. Place the example code above before the example code
      fedpkg new-sources /path/to/yournewtarball.tar.gz

2. Change the previous example code to
      fedpkg new-sources yournewtarball.tar.gz

3. Place the follow example code
      fedpkg scratch-build
directly before the example code
      fedpkg srpm
      koji build --scratch --arch-override x86_64 f18 ...
with some connecting text.

4. Change the final example
      https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Package_update_HOWTO#Example
      # get the curent fedora settings
      fedpkg clone foo
      # change into directory created by previous commnad
      cd foo
      # get the upstream source
      wget -N http://dl.sf.net/foo/foo-0.0.2.tar.bz2
      # change the required things in the specfile
      gedit foo.spec
      # check that the changes you made are correct for this architecture
      fedpkg mockbuild
      # check that the changes you made are correct for all architectures
      rmpbuild -bs foo.spec
      koji build --scratch rawhide foo.srpm
      # upload the new sources
      fedpkg new-sources foo-0.0.2.tar.bz2