dietlibc

Kevin Kofler kevin.kofler at chello.at
Thu Feb 28 22:07:13 UTC 2013

Hi,

due to the Enrico Scholz saga, I realized that we have 4 packages in Rawhide
which BuildRequire dietlibc:

dhcp-forwarder-0:0.10-1902.fc19.src
ip-sentinel-0:0.12-1901.fc19.src
kismet-0:0.0.2011.03.R2-1603.fc18.src
util-vserver-0:0.30.215+svn2929-1603.fc18.src

There are 2 things that strike me as broken there:

1. As far as I can tell, those packages are STATICALLY linked against
dietlibc. Yet there is no dietlibc-static subpackage, and apparently the
static library is in the main package (not even -devel!). There are also
dietlibc-devel and dietlibc-header subpackages, but nothing BuildRequires or
Requires those. The dietlibc package needs to be fixed to comply to the
packaging guidelines (which also means that either Enrico lets go the devel
branch or it should be forcibly removed from him!) or retired entirely (Do
we really need a second libc in Fedora?).

2. I think those packages should not build against dietlibc at all, but just
use the system glibc. Now that Enrico let them go, can we PLEASE get those
packages fixed?

        Kevin Kofler