Fedora 18 issues with translations and keymaps

Jiri Eischmann eischmann at redhat.com
Thu Jan 3 13:19:27 UTC 2013

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" píše v Čt 03. 01. 2013 v 12:40 +0000:
> On 01/03/2013 10:37 AM, Jiri Eischmann wrote:
> > So yes, these issues are serious, but IMHO rather a long-term problem we
> > should focus on after releasing F18.
>
> I disagree I think we need to fix those things first.
>
> Ask yourself this, If the roles where reversed and US keymaps and
> translation was broken and on that list, we would ship?

I'm using the Czech layout (and I'm even so weird that I'm using QWERTZ)
and Czech translations primarily and I haven't found any serious
problems for weeks of using Fedora 18. The bug that I reported " that
you remove the English keyboard completely in Anaconda and it's still
there as a second option in GNOME after installation" is IMHO just a
minor problem. And I haven't had any other problem with translations or
layouts. Neither has my mother who is an average user and has been using
F18 with Czech layout and translations even longer than me.

No software will ever be perfect. OSes with a 6-month release cycle are
in fact far from perfect. You always find tons of bugs when you dig in.
It's about compromises. I always supported more quality in Fedora, but
we have to take in account our time frame which is 6 months and we're
already waaaaay behind it. And if you think that it's OK that a distro,
that should be release every 6 months and has "First" as one of its 4
foundations, is released after 12 months, then I think it's not OK. And
we also should take into account how much the problems affect people and
how many of them. I follow a lot of user forums and discussions and
people, who have tried Fedora 18, they're mostly satisfied with it
(except for the partitioning in the installer). Look at the retrace
server stats. The number of reports from F18 is already almost 1/3 of
F17. I really don't want to end up delaying the final release again and
again while most users are using it anyway. Still, we're not working for
the sake of fixing bugs, we're working for users.

> In anycase Adam has provided the necessary info on how utterly broken
> these things are which should be sufficiant information for fesco to
> take from there and decide if and then when we should release.

Yeah, it's up to FESCo to decide. Neither me nor you can make the
decision. But we can express our opinions ;)

Jiri