Feedback wanted: Fedora Formulas

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Tue Jan 8 20:15:29 UTC 2013

Greetings.

I've whipped up the early ideas of a way to replace (most) spins with
something that is more generic and useful. I have signed up for a
fudcon session to brainstorm on this idea and see if it can be beaten
into a plan/schedule/feature, or if it's not going to work for whatever
reason.

I have a very brainstormy/draft wiki page outlining the idea at:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_formulas

The short version:

Setup a infrastructure/framework around a collection of ansible
playbooks to allow our users to simply download a formula for what they
want to do and have a curated setup made for them using Fedora
packages.

Want a electionics lab setup? download. review. answer some
questions. click.
Want a LAMP stack? download. review. answer some questions. click.
Want a openstack demo cluster? ditto.
Want a graphics designer workstation? ditto.

Note that this assumes you have already installed Fedora, it's a post
install setup. This would mean that we should continue to do spins for
various desktops as people may way to install their desktop as a base
before adding on formulas.

Of course there's tons of details/questions to work out (many listed on
the wiki page, but I'm sure there are more details too).

So, what do folks think? Workable? Crazy? Crazy enough to work?
:)

kevin