Fwd: [Libjpeg-turbo-users] jpeg-9, API/ABI compatibility, and the future role of this project

Adam Tkac atkac at redhat.com
Tue Jan 15 12:01:05 UTC 2013

On Mon, Jan 14, 2013 at 04:42:59PM +0100, Xose Vazquez Perez wrote:
> hi,
>
> As Fedora was pioneering in the libjpeg-turbo inclusion
> maybe you are interested in this discussion.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_name=50E4AF86.50203%40users.sourceforge.net&forum_name=libjpeg-turbo-users

Another interesting thread is
http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=30352453

We are currently discussing drop of the
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/libjpeg-turbo-jpeg8-ABI feature because
SmartScale encoding (only reason of the jpeg7 and jpeg 8 ABI bumps) was rejected
by ISO and actually doesn't bring any benefit over widely used png/webp codecs.

So Fedora will probably stick with old jpeg6 API/ABI unless IJG maintainer
reveals some new facts about SmartScale. All facts are currently against
SmartScale (image quality/size, compression/decompression speed).

Regards, Adam

--
Adam Tkac, Red Hat, Inc.