installer final touches matters

John Reiser jreiser at bitwagon.com
Tue Jan 22 04:39:45 UTC 2013

On 01/21/2013 06:30 PM, Richard Vickery wrote:
> For the last four hours I was trying to install Fedora 18-64 on the computer and for an hour and a half I've been trying to do an install that hasn't worked; if was like experiencing Microsoft's "blue screen of death". Thankfully after pulling out the CD I had 17 installed.
>
> And... um... this isn't exactly "public".

I do not doubt that you had problems, but your post lacks information
that is needed in order to assign blame.  If you wish to be taken seriously,
then please specify:
   RAM size and processor clock speed?
   install method and medium (PXE, netinst, harddrive .iso, NFS .iso,
      local media full install, DVD+R, DVD+RW, USB2.0, ...)?
   package selection?
In other words, pretend that you are submitting a bug report.
Give enough information so that somebody else could attempt to
reproduce the problem that you see by using "the same" environment.

If you are using any kind of physical DVD, did you run the media test?
(How long did that take?)
Look in /tmp/syslog for kernel messages that indicate related errors.
[Type Ctrl-Alt-F2 to get a text console; type Ctrl-Alt-F6 to restore graphics.]
I have seen poor media (certain brands; DVD+RW more than 6 months old
or more than 50 re-writes; scratches) and poor drives (interface dying)
and poor drive<->media compatibility.  Each of those resulted in "infinite"
install times because linux kernel error recovery is *very* slow;
and none of that could be blamed on anaconda.