Proposed F19 Feature: New firstboot

Jaroslav Reznik jreznik at redhat.com
Mon Jan 28 11:46:40 UTC 2013

= Features/NewFirstboot =
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/NewFirstboot

Feature owner(s): Martin Sivák <msivak at redhat.com>

This feature proposes new initial setup application with better integration to
the NewUI anaconda and to Gnome Initial Experience.

== Detailed description ==
Since the Anaconda installer moved to the NewUI Hub and Spoke concept, we can
reuse much of it's architecture and screens in the after reboot configuration
utility -- initial-setup. So the idea behind the firstboot replacement is that
we will have a new app that will use the same Hub and Spoke model and the same
API as Anaconda.

This will give us the possibility of letting the user configure his system
either during the package extraction or after reboot (important for OEMs). It
will also allow other teams (power management, security team, IPA) to prepare
their own screens for Anaconda and initial-setup and so further enhancing the
user experience.

Anaconda, initial-setup and Gnome Inital Experience will communicate to ensure
the screens are not shown multiple times. So for example the root password
setup or user creation process will be done only in one place, depending on
the installed system.

The old Firstboot will still stay as a fallback in case somebody still has his
old Firstboot plugins he needs to use.