Bad file access on the rise

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Fri Jun 7 19:30:49 UTC 2013

notting at redhat.com wrote on 06/07/2013 15:08:59:

> Right, it would break something that requires sharing SHM segments
across
> sessions, or between system and sessions via 0666 SHM segments. I'm just
> curious what things actually do that.

I've seen this done with the Progress RDBMS where multiple data server
processes share block buffers, semaphores, etc.  They also used the trick
mentioned earlier of making a file and unlinking it while still open (or
however exactly that's done) to have certain things (local user process
block buffers, IIRC) removed automatically.

--
John Florian