rpm and config.{guess, sub} (was [aarch64 bugs] dpkg: Does not support aarch64 in f19 and rawhide bug #925276)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Tue Jun 18 06:52:53 UTC 2013

On Tue, 18 Jun 2013 01:37:19 +0300, Oron Peled wrote:

> Let me be more specific:
>  * If upstream uses a modern autotools, than "autoreconf" should be preferred (IMO).
>  * If not, we should advise them to modernize (and if we can, try to help them).

IIRC, that has been suggested in the many aarch64 bz tickets recently as
one of several options to fix the issue.

However, to repeat, often one only "touches" the Autotools files when one
really needs to do that. One doesn't regularly examine them for whether
they contain hacks or other problems that only turn up when regenerating
the files in an env that differs from upstream's. Some contain surprises,
such as but not limited to losing preprocessor definitions or using
conflicting variable names.

--
Fedora release 19 (Schrödinger’s Cat) - Linux 3.9.5-301.fc19.x86_64
loadavg: 0.62 0.23 0.19