Fedora 19 Final blocker status: fix and karma requests

Panu Matilainen pmatilai at laiskiainen.org
Mon Jun 24 09:53:14 UTC 2013

On 06/24/2013 03:27 AM, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 18:04:55 -0400,
>    Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
>> rpm db          82M
>
> I vaguely remember a discussion about dropping this for live images
> because it gets rebuilt every boot when needed. My memory is that we
> ended up removing this data while building live images, but haven't
> looked at it in a long time.

Well you can't create the rpmdb out of nothing on reboot.

There are three different types of data in the rpmdb:
- the main Packages database which holds the package headers
- indexes like Name, Requirename etc which can always be recreated from
the main Packages db
- host-specific __db.* files (BDB internal cache, locks etc) which must
NOT be included in live images, and which get created as needed

The __db.* files hopefully are not included on live images to begin
with.  It might be possible to drop the indexes too: current rpm
versions will automatically generate missing indexes on access, but
obviously it needs to run as root for that to work. So if indexes are
dropped, non-root queries would be very broken until root does a query
or runs an explicit 'rpmdb --rebuilddb' (which could be arranged to
happen on boot)

	- Panu -