Media Sizes SRPMS DVD

Nico Kadel-Garcia nkadel at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 12:03:29 UTC 2013

On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 1:14 PM, Bruno Wolff III <bruno at wolff.to> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 26, 2013 at 08:44:36 -0500,
>   Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
>>

>> no, because pungi the tool that creates the source dvd doesnt support
>> split media. I actually want to stop making source dvds all together.
>> but that will need legal approval first. note we don't actually make and
>> source dvds at all. we keep the sources hosted for more than 3 years.
>

> I believe the three years starts from when you last offer the binaries, not
> when you first offer them. But there is probably some way to work this out.
> I doubt the SRPM ISO gets much use and it seems like a waste of resources to
> produce and mirror it.

There is a practical use: the entire source tree can be audited with
the GPG signatures, and the checdksums for the ISO published and
signed, to help verify the software if the upstream repository gets
*really* hacked. It's also helpful for publishing Bittorrents of the
source: I'd much rather grab the source via Bittorrent than via rsync
or http, *if* I can verify the checksups and GPG signatures of the DVD
image.