More unhelpful update descriptions

T.C. Hollingsworth tchollingsworth at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 21:12:12 UTC 2013

On Sat, Jun 29, 2013 at 1:07 PM, Adam Williamson <awilliam at redhat.com> wrote:
> I can't personally conceive of a case in which it would make sense to simply
> have some kind of changelog as the update description. That is not what the
> description is for.

Well, this is what I do for nodejs updates.  I figure since that's
good enough for all the people who install .EXEs and .DMGs then it's
good enough for people installing Fedora RPMs too, right?

Otherwise all I could think of to put there would be: "This fixes some
random bugs.  Visit http://nodejs.org/path/to/changelog/ to see what
they are."  I think just including the list of fixes from upstream
instead of forcing them to go to a link to see the same list of ~3
fixes is a lot nicer.

But, the changelogs I put there are pretty short and sweet [1] (as
befitting the stable branch of a programming language interpreter).
Perhaps you are thinking of ridiculously long git changelogs or
something?

I do agree that the RPM changelog is completely useless in the case of
most of my packages, and if there is something interesting there it
would benefit from a slightly longer description in the update summary
rather than some magical automatic inclusion of the RPM changelog.

-T.C.

[1] https://admin.fedoraproject.org/updates/FEDORA-2013-11337/libuv-0.10.11-1.fc19,nodejs-0.10.12-1.fc19