OK to bump soname for a lesser-used library?

Josh Stone jistone at redhat.com
Mon Mar 4 22:07:45 UTC 2013

It's clear to me that library soname bumps should generally be avoided
in released Fedoras, but can it be allowed for more fringe libraries?

Specifically, I'd like to get Dyninst 8.1 into Fedora 18, which would
bump everything from ".so.8.0" to ".so.8.1".  The only in-distro package
that BuildRequires Dyninst is SystemTap, which I also co-maintain and
will certainly rebuild in tandem.

If there are any out-of-distro users of our dyninst libraries, I expect
they are of the more research-oriented type who will appreciate keeping
up the version.  I suppose any such people should speak up, please, if
you disagree.

So given that this library's use is pretty well contained, might it be
OK to go ahead and update in F18?

Thanks,
Josh