Proposed F19 Feature: systemd/udev Predictable Network Interface Names

Kay Sievers kay at vrfy.org
Wed Mar 6 16:25:30 UTC 2013

On Tue, Mar 5, 2013 at 5:52 PM, Michal Schmidt <mschmidt at redhat.com> wrote:
> On 03/04/2013 04:01 PM, Matt Domsch wrote:
>>
>> drivers/net/ethernet/sfc/siena.c:       efx->net_dev->dev_id =
>> EFX_OWORD_FIELD(reg, FRF_CZ_CS_PORT_NUM) - 1;
>

> I think sfc does not really *need* to set dev_id.
> Yes, these are multi-port cards, but the ports are on distinct PCI
> functions.

Which actually means they should leave it alone then, and not do
anything. The dev_id stuff is really not to be used across different
parent devices.

If there is any order unpredictable probing order enumeration logic
involved in the driver spanning multiple parents, using dev_id will
actually break things and not help anything.

Kay