Yubikey single-factor authentication disabled

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Thu Mar 7 15:35:29 UTC 2013

On Thu, 7 Mar 2013 07:09:13 +0000
Clive Hills <discordianuk at gmail.com> wrote:

> I suppose I have to bite and ask why yubikey is regarded as
> single-factor? I guess it isn't something I know as well as something
> I have?

The way we had yubikeys deployed before (and what this thread is
talking about) was single factor. You needed only your login/account
name and the yubikey to login. While your login is indeed "something
you know" it's not something that _only_ you know, it's something that
anyone can trivially find out. The "something you know" in 2 factor
auth has to be a secret only you know. ;)

We are currently using yubikeys in a real 2 factor way in Fedora
infrastructure, but thats something only folks with shell access and
sudo access see right now. They have to enter password + yubikey (or
google authenticator code) to sudo.

We do hope to roll out more uses for 2 factor to web applications or
other places, but we have not yet had time to do so. Also, I want to
make sure when we do it's not a burden to contributors.

kevin