Requesting assistance with packaging a web app: wikindx

Kevin Fenzi kevin at scrye.com
Mon Mar 11 17:19:59 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:04:17 +1100
Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 23:22 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
> > You should take a look at mediawiki[1]. It stores its files in
> > /usr/share/mediawiki and provides scripts for creating new wikis.
> > The scripts reference a list of wikis in /etc/mediawiki. Instead of
> > copies
> > the new wikis are symbolic links so that package updates are
> > seamless.
> >
> > [1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mediawiki.git/tree/
>
> Hi Michael,
>
> I'll go through the package. Thank you for the quick reply.

I'm not fully sure I would call mediawiki a good example. ;)

There's:
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Web_Applications

and to expand on that, you should have the vast majority of the files
in /usr/share/ and only those files that are config or otherwise change
be in /etc and linked to the share versions.

Wordpress might be another example.

kevin