Improving the Fedora boot experience

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Mon Mar 11 20:54:53 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11.03.13 20:22, Peter Robinson (pbrobinson at gmail.com) wrote:

> > Entering the boot loader is something that is a debugging feature, a
> > tool for professionals. It shouldn't be too hard to expect from them to
> > remember something as simple as maybe "press shift or Space or Esc" to
> > get the boot menu or more verbose output. I mean, honestly, that's
> > probably what most people would try automatically anyway if they want
> > feedback from the machine.
> >
> > We nowadays live in times where BIOS POST takes 500ms, the kernel one
> > second and userspace another one [1], with times like that you really
> > don't need any bootsplash or anything. With Windows 8 the laptop BIOSes
> > finally got fixed to be silent and quick during POST. Now its our turn
> > to achieve the same for the boot loader and the OS, both of which we
> > control.
>
> Clearly you haven't used any modern EFI server systems where I've used
> systems which take 15 minutes to post (and I can kickstart an entire
> RHEL-6 install less than 7 mins) and are generally longer than their
> predecessors

Clearly, you haven't used any modern EFI laptop system where POST is
500ms.

So, we both now pointed out that each other is terribly naive, what did
us bring that?

Are you really arguing that because your EFI system is slow we should
make it even slower by adding pointless 15s delays into the boot
everywhere?

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.