Improving the Fedora boot experience

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Mon Mar 11 21:10:26 UTC 2013

On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 22:00:54 +0100
Lennart Poettering <mzerqung at 0pointer.de> wrote:

> > I'm mostly concerned with making new professionals.
>
> Well, where do you get them from? Here's a hint: the Unix market is
> now all ours, so you can only get them from Windows. And on Windows 8
> they don't have any pointless sleeps in the boot, and if you want a
> boot menu, you have to press something.

New professional get made from kids learning. From folks tinkering in
basements and on their free time.

It's not all structured learning. It never has been.

> We can even use the same key as windows does, if that helps you...

I just want something discoverable, best if it were printed out and
obvious.

> > If the bioses and systems years ago had been opaque we wouldn't have
> > gotten this far.
>
> Which is nonsense.

Citation needed. It is not self-evidently nonsense. Please don't be
this way.

> Also modern EFI systems work the same way. I mean,
> they are even more drastic in many cases, and don't initialize USB
> kbds at all anymore, so that you have to go through the OS to get
> back into boot menu.

You're making an argument why EFI is trying to make computers devices
that people only consume with, not devices they learn and create with.

I don't think we should be encouraging this behavior just b/c others
are. Your same argument could be used to justify not releasing source
code, too. Please justify what you're arguing for.

-sv