Improving the Fedora boot experience

Toshio Kuratomi a.badger at gmail.com
Mon Mar 11 22:59:04 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 10:58:55PM +0100, Bj??rn Persson wrote:
> Ryan Lerch wrote:
> > I think the suggestion in this thread is to simply keep a key *pressed
> > down* that way there are no issues with the user having to time a keypress.
>
> And I'm asking: How am I supposed to *discover* that I'm supposed to be
> holding a key down and not pounding on it?
>
> Could there at least be some instructions displayed *after* I
> accidentally succeed the first time, so I'll know how to do it next
> time?

Also .... could it react if *any* key is pressed?  There's tons of keys that
are used for bootloader or bios (which to the end user is pretty similar)
I've personally seen [ESC] [F1] [F2] [F3] [F5] [F11] [F12] [DEL] [HOME]
[Ctrl] and even [b].

Making it go to a menu if any key is pressed makes one thing less of a
mess to discover.

-Toshio