Requesting assistance with packaging a web app: wikindx

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Tue Mar 12 00:58:30 UTC 2013

On 11/03/13 10:19 AM, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Mon, 11 Mar 2013 16:04:17 +1100
> Ankur Sinha <sanjay.ankur at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2013-03-10 at 23:22 -0500, Michael Cronenworth wrote:
>>> You should take a look at mediawiki[1]. It stores its files in
>>> /usr/share/mediawiki and provides scripts for creating new wikis.
>>> The scripts reference a list of wikis in /etc/mediawiki. Instead of
>>> copies
>>> the new wikis are symbolic links so that package updates are
>>> seamless.
>>>
>>> [1] http://pkgs.fedoraproject.org/cgit/mediawiki.git/tree/
>>
>> Hi Michael,
>>
>> I'll go through the package. Thank you for the quick reply.
>
> I'm not fully sure I would call mediawiki a good example. ;)
>
> There's:
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging:Guidelines#Web_Applications
>
> and to expand on that, you should have the vast majority of the files
> in /usr/share/ and only those files that are config or otherwise change
> be in /etc and linked to the share versions.
>
> Wordpress might be another example.

No-one's answered the simplest part of the question yet :)

You can make httpd 'use the files in /usr/share' simply by including a
config snippet in /etc/httpd/conf.d/ . As Kevin suggests, Wordpress is a
decent example, but roundcubemail's happens to be even simpler. Just to
do the directory thing, all it really needs is something like this:

Alias /roundcubemail /usr/share/roundcubemail

i.e. /roundcubemail under the web server root is
/usr/share/roundcubemail on the local file system.

The mediawiki approach isn't really appropriate for a simple webapp.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey