Improving the Fedora boot experience

Miloslav Trmač mitr at volny.cz
Tue Mar 12 11:45:14 UTC 2013

On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 5:58 PM, Matthias Clasen <mclasen at redhat.com> wrote:
> I would love to see F19 make a good first impression. The first time you see something Fedora-related on the screen currently is the graphical grub screen, followed by the filling-in-Fedora of Plymouth, followed by the gdm login screen.
<snip>

Can we postpone this tinkering with colors, logos, pixel positioning,
and bootloader defaults that matter only for users that actively watch
for them, until basic functionality in the ordinary use case that
users _have to_ interact with is solid?  Like having a prompt for the
hard disk passphrase that tells the user in text what is necessary,
and actually looks like a text input field?  (Have you seen how
confused a newbie is when turning on a Linux computer owned by
somebody else and encountering the prompt?)
    Mirek