Improving the Fedora boot experience -> no plymouth!

Reindl Harald h.reindl at thelounge.net
Tue Mar 12 13:06:36 UTC 2013

Am 12.03.2013 13:52, schrieb Nicolas Mailhot:

> Le Mar 12 mars 2013 13:30, Fabian Deutsch a écrit :
>>> Von: Máirín Duffy
>>>
>>> I'm pretty sure it is because of where we are in the process at that
>>> point. For example, translations - can we render Indic or CJK glyphs to
>>> the screen at this point in the boot process? I'm not quite sure that's
>>> possible? Another thing with translations is they take up additional
>>> disk space and I think (don't quote me on this, maybe Peter or one of
>>> the other grub experts could speak up) grub2 is a bit chubby compared to
>>> grub, but its space usage is a concern so to not have to have all the
>>> translation files for the languages we support would definitely be good.
>>> (grub2's girth is one of the reasons - on upstream's recommendation -
>>> that we don't allow installing the bootloader to a partition now.)
>>
>> What about pulling the message stuff into plymouth and using dracut to
>> trigger a reboot which shows the grub menu? Something along the lines:
>> "Press ESC to see deatils or 'b' to enter the bootloader"
>
> Plymouth is not a mandatory boot process element right now, precisely
> because people who cared about fast boot found it unnecessary, and people
> who cared about maintainability also found it got in the way. Please do
> not advocate hardwiring it again

plymouth is a no-go as requirement

"rd.plymouth=0 plymouth.enable=0" are my first kernel params on a lot of machines

[root at srv-rhsoft:~]$ cat /etc/dracut.conf.d/90-plymouth.conf
omit_dracutmodules+="plymouth"

is present on ANY machine i maintain

the only thing i want on a machine is:
* no graphical stuff at boot time, not any of it
* no submenus in the boot-menu
* the kernel list dispalyed for 1 second
* no rhgb
* no quiet

why?

because i want to see what me system does if i look how it
boots up within 15 seconds and i want to face ANY possible
warning nobody cares especially after a upgrade