Improving the Fedora boot experience

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 12 14:41:31 UTC 2013

Repeating that "fast boot times matter" is just as bogus as saying they
don't.  The 2 or 3 seconds that's being talked about here has no
meaningful impact on anything other than embedded users and they're
probably not using grub anyway.

Fedora 18 screwed my laptop pretty thoroughly since the ATI drivers
would hang the machine on resume.  Having the menu there so I could
chose an alternate kernel was a godsend, especially since the newer
kernel wasn't always better than the previous.

2 seconds isn't hurting anyone and its more than likely going to make it
easier on someone to have that menu there.  Many non-server systems
hibernate or suspend anyway, so they're only going to see the menu on a
hard reboot.

Additionally, having the ability to hit escape and see what is going on
when the progress bar has hung has also saved me on occasion.