Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 12 18:17:26 UTC 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 12:01 PM, Alec Leamas <leamas.alec at gmail.com> wrote:

> I  *do* appreciate the attempts to get a clean, graphically consistent boot experience. And to be frank, I wonder if not WIn 8 (and perhaps Mac) has got it right. It's just that a Fedora box isn't a Win8 or a Mac, and the boot UI cant change that.

Windows and OS X get away with a simpler experience, both user and MS/Apple development side, because of hardware certification (control). And they don't expect to interoperate that well with other OSs. A more capable heuristic is needed as Fedora boots, to account for events those systems don't need to.

So if Windows and OS X have the ux right, Fedora can do it even better by getting more things right under the hood. That benefits everyone, not just new users. It benefits remote VM or metal rebooting after a kernel update causes a problem, and 'self heals' by automatically falling back to a prior kernel in case that'll help resolve the problem. With btrfs snapshots before updates, more than just the prior kernel can be fallen back to.

Chris Murphy