Improving the Fedora boot experience

Brian Wheeler bdwheele at indiana.edu
Tue Mar 12 18:24:26 UTC 2013

On 03/12/2013 02:03 PM, Chris Murphy wrote:
> On Mar 12, 2013, at 10:35 AM, Reindl Harald <h.reindl at thelounge.net> wrote:

>>> This is completely specious. A user who considers falling back to an
>>> older kernel as a troubleshooting step also knows how this selection
>>> is made and where to go look for it
>> THIS IS WRONG
> Oh really?

Yes, it is wrong.  We're not talking about just new users here.  If
you're going to hide how to select a different kernel, how am I, an
experienced sysadmin supposed to figure it out when things go south?

F18 screwed my computer royally with regards to sleep & restore and I
had to boot older kernels to get the machine stable.   As it stands,
there were a list of kernels I chose the upper most one which didn't
have problems...under what people are proposing I'd have to google it on
some other machine or just mash the keyboard and hope I find something
that gives me some options

I don't know why people are so enamored by making it difficult to
troubleshoot problems.