Improving the Fedora boot experience

Stephen John Smoogen smooge at gmail.com
Tue Mar 12 23:24:12 UTC 2013

On 12 March 2013 17:10, Nicolas Mailhot <nicolas.mailhot at laposte.net> wrote:

> Le Mar 12 mars 2013 21:53, Máirín Duffy a écrit :
>> I tried breaking this thread down into its components and summarizing
>> the discussion and points brought up thus far. I hope it helps:
>>
>> http://blog.linuxgrrl.com/2013/03/12/improving-the-fedora-boot-experience/
>
> Máirín,
>
> The proposal discussed here is not to "keep the hood on the car".
> The proposal is to remove any indication there is a hood, and show the
> user a seamless surface with no hint it can be opened (or how).
>
> No one there objects to pretty hoods. They object to fixing the hood
> appearance by removing any indication of a hood.
>
> Good car design is not removing the emergency tail lights button because
> it "ruins" the panel appearance. Good car design is to keep the emergency
> tail lights button, and make it pretty. Even if regulations demand it is
> bright red when the designer wanted a smooth black panel.

Actually let us step back for a moment.. because you are dropping an
important part of the equation here. You forgot the words "To me" as
in "To me the proposal discussed here ..." because it is the part that
makes a conversation possible. Without it each side is defining what
they think the world view is without leaving room for an opposing
view. Wording like that ends debate because it states definitively
that there can be no room for another viewpoint.  It is what is WRONG
with most of our email threads in Fedora.. we are all building our
echo chambers of our view point and undefining anything that differs.

I am saying this because I agree. To me the proposal (not the original
but some point in the the 500 ms boot time "ideal" ) seemed very much
a welded shut view. And as someone who has to worked on welded shut
computers for asthetic reasons.. it brings out the fighting urge in
me. However the REAL proposal is not about welding the bonnet shut. It
is about making it so it looks prettier. As long as we focus on that
and make sure that we have a clearly labeled knob for opening it.. we
can move this along. If we continue  focusing that the other person is
WRONG and we don't listen for what they really are trying to say we
just make things worse here.

--
Stephen J Smoogen.
"Don't derail a useful feature for the 99% because you're not in it."