Improving the Fedora boot experience

Chris Murphy lists at colorremedies.com
Tue Mar 12 18:58:43 UTC 2013

On Mar 12, 2013, at 12:19 PM, John.Florian at dart.biz wrote:

> I personally could not care less about the defaults Fedora uses.  I've been overriding them for years. I'm just glad I was able to learn these things before everything became hidden.

Because, naturally, you don't explore, find, or learn anything hidden. Once hidden, overriding is so much less likely that the critical mass of knowledge sustained by new users collapses.

>   I'm only concerned about the future generations that are given a shiny black box with no way to see what magic happens inside.

Right, because turning the linux boot process into a closed black box is what's being proposed. Maybe I need to take some more "ridiculous" pills to one up the absurdity once and for all.

>  Today's youth have none of the curiosity that I and my friends had at their age and I blame it on this "you don't need to know how it works" mentality that is infecting everything.

Oh that's original. Your parents and grandparents never, ever said anything like this.

>  If you really want that Apple experience, why don't you just use their goods?

I do. Curious, isn't it, how I managed to stumble into linux boot loading, and file systems of all things, never having a single chance of seeing such things? They weren't merely hidden from me. They didn't even exist.

Chris Murphy