Improving the Fedora boot experience

Ralf Corsepius rc040203 at freenet.de
Wed Mar 13 04:26:27 UTC 2013

On 03/13/2013 01:32 AM, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> On 03/12/2013 07:24 PM, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
>> I am saying this because I agree. To me the proposal (not the original
>> but some point in the the 500 ms boot time "ideal" ) seemed very much
>> a welded shut view. And as someone who has to worked on welded shut
>> computers for asthetic reasons.. it brings out the fighting urge in
>> me.
>
> Did you guys actually read the blog post? Is aesthetics cited in any of
> the reasons for hiding the menu? No, it's not. These were the reasons I
> cited in favor of the proposal to hide the menu:

> - We used to suppress the boot menu by default in earlier releases and
> its suppression didn’t cause major problems.
Well, at least for me, re-activating has always been a part of the
routine after-install cleanup job, ever since I am using RH-based distros.

> - Not listening for keypresses doesn’t probe USB, meaning not waiting
> for keypresses will make boot even faster since we won’t have to
> load/probe USB.
Is this of any importance? Non-USB-equipped systems are rare to find
these days, so loading/probing USB will be inevitable in the majority of
cases.

> -  (Nobody explicitly stated this, but) Displaying information geared
> towards power users by default is intimidating / confusing to
> less-knowledgeable users."
I'd call this to be an urban legend. A boot menu is self-explanatory,
even to new-comers.

It may baffle them when they see it for the first time, but will very
soon get used to it.

> Please be fair.

Please do so - I feel you are trying to solve a non-issue.

Ralf