Improving the Fedora boot experience

Pierre-Yves Chibon pingou at pingoured.fr
Wed Mar 13 15:46:53 UTC 2013

On Wed, 2013-03-13 at 11:04 -0400, Máirín Duffy wrote:
> In that situation my first instinct would be to go into the control
> panel and poke around and see if there was something I could fix
> there, and maybe search online for an answer. My first instinct would
> not be to reboot the system and go into the bootloader menu - it's not
> intuitive that the problem happened because of a new kernel, and
> usually when I find myself in that situation it really does take me a
> while to think it might be a new kernel with a broken driver.

This brings the question, how do you do your update?

I know I'm not he average user but I update via yum and one thing I
always watch out for are kernel update, mostly because it means I'll
have to reboot my machine sometime after that.
So when I reboot and something does not come up, I will likely pretty
quickly reboot on an older kernel to see if that's what has changed (I
must confess, this is a guess since I don't remember when is the last
time something broke on one of my machine with a kernel update).

Pierre