Improving the Fedora boot experience

Lennart Poettering mzerqung at 0pointer.de
Thu Mar 14 20:50:25 UTC 2013

On Wed, 13.03.13 15:14, Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) wrote:

> Once upon a time, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> said:
> > On Wed, Mar 13, 2013 at 02:52:23PM -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
> > > That doesn't seem all that significant to me; I guess we have different
> > > measures (to me "significantly slow down the boot process" would be
> > > something on the order of 5-10 seconds or more).
> >
> > It's over a third of the boot time that Lennart's been discussing.
>
> I haven't seen systems that boot in less than 6 seconds (and by "boot" I
> mean power-on to login prompt).  Maybe they exist, but that is not my
> experience with common hardware.

Well, then update your hardware. As mentioned before, the Windows 8
certification requires POST of < 2s on SSD, and < 4s on rotating media.

That effectively means that *virtually all* laptops from 2013 on will
POST in ridiculously short times. For example the Samsung Series 9
ultrabooks POST in ~500ms, i.e. much better even than what Microsoft
requires.

Really, just go to your computer store, and look for any laptop that is
designed for Windows 8, and check for yourself.

Here's the link to the Windows 8 hw certification guidelines:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/windows/hardware/hh748188

See page 118 of "Windows 8 System Requirements":

  "Systems with SSD or hybrid SSD must POST in 2 seconds or less. A
  hybrid SSD has both SSD storage and spinning disks."

  "Systems with spinning disks must POST in 4 seconds or less."

Lennart

--
Lennart Poettering - Red Hat, Inc.